Turkey is a wonderful country, full of great history…. amazing sights… crystal clear beaches and beautiful cities! This country has no secrets… but only strange, funny and intresting facts that you might didn’t know about…
We made a list for you, with things you didn’t know about Turkey!
1) Turkey has 8 neighbours! Bulgaria, Georgia, Armenia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Azerbaijan and Greece. The shortest border of Turkey is 9km (Azerbaijan) and the longest is 822km (Syria)
2) Atatürk, means ‘’Father of the Turks’’, a surname given to Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the first president of Turkey in 1934. This name is forbidden to anyone else!
3) Batman, is a city in Turkey!
4) Kissing the hand of elderly is a traditional sign of respect in Turkey
5) The traditional Turkish ice cream contains Salep and can be eaten with knife and fork! Originated from the region of Maraş, hence known as Maraş ice cream
6) The capital of Turkey is not Istanbul, but Ankara! It became after the war of indepedence in 1923
7) “Veni, Vidi, Vici” (I came, I saw, I conquered), said by Julius Caesar in the Black Sea region in Turkey when he defeated Pontus
8) Turkey is the birthplace of many historical figures, such as Aesop, Homer and Herodotus
9) Most of the Turks didn’t have surname until 1934
10) A black arrow is painted at the ceiling of most Turkish public buildings, showing towards Meka, the same direction Muslims turn while praying
11) Santa Claus was born in Turkey!
12) Sabiha Gocken, was the first female Turkish pilot! She was the adopted daughter of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
13) Mount Ararat, where the Noah’s Ark aground, is located in Turkey
14) Turkey is responsible for the 80% of the worlds hazelnut export
15) The most precious silk carpet in the world is in Mevlana Museum in Konya
16) Tulips were introduced in Europe, not by Netherlands but by Turkey, in the 16th century
17) Turkey is not called Turkey but the Republic of Turkey, since 1923
18) 10.000 plant species , 9.000 flower species and 80.000 animal species, are found in Turkey
19) In 1503, Leonardo Da Vinci submitted plans for a bridge across Bosphorus but it was never buit
20) With 383 beaches and 21 marinas awarded by Blue Flag, Turkey ranked 3rd in the world
21) In Turkey there are over 170 universities! UK has 120
22) Turkish cuisine, is one of the three most famous and distinctive traditional cuisines in the world
23) The temple of Artemis and the Mausoleum of Harlicarnassus, are located in Turkey. These, are two of the seven wonders in the ancient world!
24) Turkey spans in two continents! One part in Europe an one in Asia
25) Turkey uses Latin based alphabet and not an Arabic. This alphabet was established as a personal initiative of the founder of the Turkish Republic, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
26) Women in Turkey were among the first women in the world that were given the right to vote! Even before United States and from the majority of European countries
27) In the last 83 years, Istanbul had over 3,500 mayors and borough presidents, but only four of them were women
28) The legendary city of Troy is located in Turkey!
29) Alexander the Great cut the famous Gordian knot near today’s capital of Turkey- Ankara
30) Turks eat more chicken and red meat than anyone else in Europe!
31) Efes is the most famous beer in Turkey! Took the 12th place in the worlds beer market
32) The House where Virgin Mary lived the last years of her life, is located in Ephesus
33) Iztuzu Beach, located in Fethiye, is a major breeding ground for turtle nesting worldwide
34) Oil wrestling is Turkey’s national sport!
35) The first known university in the human history is in Harran, in southeast Turkey
36) During the Ottoman Empire, there were over 4000 public toilets all over the capital
37) 99% of the total population of Turkey, is Muslim
38) Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the Turkish republic, adopted 12 daughters and one son
39) Drinking coffe it was illegal, in the 16th and 17th century. The coffeehouses had become associated with political activities and the Ottoman sultan of that time, wanted to curb rebellious behaviour
40) The 7 Churches of Apocalypse are all situated in the Aegean region of Anatolia – Ephesus, Smyrna (Izmir), Pergamum, Thyatira (Nazilli), Sardis, Philadelphia (Alasehir) and Laodicea
41) Cleopatra recieved a part of southeastern Turkey coast, as a wedding gift from Marcus Antonius
42) Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey was actually born in Greece
43) The birds Turkeys, got their name after Turkey, the country!
44) Turkey is ranked the 6th most popular tourism destination in the world!
45) Turkey has 82,693 mosques!