A wonderful city with endless interesting facts about its history and not only! Here we present you a list with some of the most impressive things you didnt know about Istanbul:
1) The only city in the world extending in two continents… Europe and Asia!
2) The crime novelist Agatha Christie, wrote the famous “Murder on the Orient Express”, during her stay at the Pera Palas Hotel in Istanbul
3) During the Ottoman Empire, while in Istanbul there were over 1400 public toilets, in the rest of the Europe there weren’t even one
4) In order for the citizens to become accustomed to the new name of the city, Istanbul… the Turkish post office didn’t deliver mails addressed to ‘Constantinople’
5) Blue Mosque is the only Mosque with six minarets, not only in Istanbul but in whole Turkey!
6) Istanbul is not the capital of the country, Ankara is!
7) Istanbul is inhabited for more than 2,500 years
8) Although Istanbul was the European Cultural Capital in 2010, it has never hosted Olympic games
9) Exceeding the 17 million inhabitants, Istanbul is the third populous city in the world
10) In the 13th century during the crusades, four bronze horses were taken from Constantinople. Now these horses decorate the San Marco Cathedral in Venice
11) Constantine the Great, the Emperor of Constantinople, built the city on seven hills to match the seven hills of Rome
12) 333 is the number of the cemeteries in the city
13) Istanbul Biennial is one of the best contemporary art shows in the world!
14) In 1912, occurred the first traffic accident, where a driver of the Italian Embassy hit a pedestrian and tried to run away from the scene
15) In the Beyoglu area, is located the second oldest subway of the world covering 537 meters, built in 1875
16) In Istanbul there are 3,113 mosques
17) Istanbul has been the capital for three of the most significant Empires in the world history! The Roman, the Byzantine and the Ottoman
18) Hagia Sophia was the biggest Christian Church for many hundred of years, attracting over 3,500,000 tourists every year
19) In 2014, Istanbul was the world’s top travel destination!
20) “The world is not enough”, the famous James Bond film, features scenes from the Maiden’s Tower
21) Grand Bazaar is the biggest covered bazaar in Istanbul an done of the biggest in the world, hosting over 4000 shops!
22) About 36% of exports and 40% of imports in Turkey, pass through Istanbul
23) The last time that people crossed the Bosphorus strait… by foot… was in 1954, when its waters were freezed!
24) Over the passage of the years, Istanbul was attacked over 60 times!
25) There are 237 hamams in Istanbul, but only 60 of them are still in use
26) The Metrobus in Istanbul was the winner, for the most people per square in 2014. It was a world record!
27) In 1502, Istanbul was the most populated city in the world!